Joseph Pellegrini, PhD, CRNA
Associate Professor, OSAH
Director, Nurse Anesthetist Program
- BS (Nursing) - Montana State University
- BS (Nurse Anesthesia) - The George Washington University
- MS (Nursing) - Rush University
- DNP -Rush University
- PhD (Nursing) – Rush University
- Effect of an injection of a saline epidural bolus immediately following delivery on the recovery profiles in groups of patients receiving epidural laboring analgesia
- Effect of PNBs on the long-term recovery physical therapy profiles in groups of ACLR patients
- Comparison of the success rates, efficacy and analgesic duration between groups of hand surgery patients receiving and ultrasound guided infraclavicular block or an axillary nerve block
- Effect of pre-warming the ETT and laryngoscope blade on the incidence and severity of emergence phenomenon in patients receiving general anesthesia with an ETT
- Effect of preoperative and intraoperative music therapy on postoperative outcomes in groups of cesarean section patients receiving spinal anesthesia
- Correlation between preoperative anxiety and serum glucose levels in the incidence and severity of PONV in the same day surgery patient
- Efficacy of prophylactic inhalation of IPA immediately before induction of general anesthesia on the incidence and severity of PONV
- The effect of using a combination of aprepitant and ondansetron on the incidence of severity of PONV and postoperative pain in the patient identified as high-risk for PONV
- Analgesic efficacy in the knee arthroscopy patient receiving either a fascia illiaca compartment block, intraarticular injection of local anesthetic or general anesthesia as their anesthetic regimen in outpatient surgery.
- Effect of Sevoflurane versus Desflurane on the expression of the neuropeptide substance P following laparoscopic cholecystectomy.
- Effect of a perioperative lidocaine infusion on pain relief and postoperative ileus in patients undergoing laparoscopic abdominal surgery.
- Differences in analgesia, labor outcomes & maternal satisfaction between groups of parturients receiving PCEA with and without a background infusion of 0.2% ropivacaine.
- Pearson JA, Fallacaro MD, Pellegrini JE. (2009). Perceived deprivation in active duty military nurse anesthetists. AANA J 77 (1): 42-48.
- Crerar C, Weldon E, Kelly J, Pellegrini JE. (2008). Comparison of two laryngeal tracheal anesthesia techniques in reducing emergence phenomenom. AANA J 76 (6): 425-431.
- Rivera J, Villecco D, Dehner B, Burkard J, Osborne L, Pellegrini JE. (2008). The efficacy of ketorolac as an adjunct to the bier block for controlling postoperative pain following nontraumatic hand and wrist surgery. AANA J 76 (5): 341-345.
- Pellegrini JE, Olson RL, Movinsky BM. Epidural and Spinal Anesthesia. In JJ Nagelhout (ED). Nurse Anesthesia. W.B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia. 2009
- Pellegrini JE. Epidural Anesthesia & Analgesia. In: M. Kerlett (ED). Nurse Anesthesia Secrets. Mosby, St. Louis. 2005
- Forrester C, Benefield A, Matern C, Kelly J, Pellegrini JE. (2007). Meclizine in combination with ondansetron for the prevention of PONV in a high risk population. AANA J 74 (6): 27-33
- Cotton JW, Rowell LR, Hood RR, Pellegrini JE. (2007). A comparative analysis of isopropyl alcohol and ondansetron in the treatment of PONV: from the hospital to home. AANA J 74 (6): 21-26.
- Pellegrini JE. (2007). Using Evidenced-Based Practice in Nurse Anesthesia Curriculums. AANA J. 74(4): 269-273
- Jones S, Strobl R, Crosby D, Burkard JF, Maye J, Pellegrini JE. (2006). The effect of transdermal scopolamine on the incidence and severity of PONV in a group of high risk patients given prophylactic ondansetron. AANA J. 74(2): 127-132.
- DeWees J, Schultz C, Wilkerson K, Biegner A, Kelly J, Pellegrini JE. (2006). Comparison of two approaches to brachial plexus anesthesia: Intersternocleidomastoid and Interscalene. Accepted for publication AANA J. 74(3): 201-06.
- Wofford K, Kase S, Moore J, Kelly JA, Pellegrini JE. (2005). The effect of bevel orientation on spinal anesthesia outcomes. AANA J, 73 (1): 8-14.
- Stewart DJ, Lambert EW, Pellegrini JE, Stack KM, , Unger DV, Hood RJ. (2005). The effect of Inaarticular Methadone on Post-operative pain following Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction. J Bone Joint Surg Am,.87: 140-144
Primary Teaching Areas:
- NDNP 811 (DNP)
- NDNP 813 (DNP)
- NPHY 620 (Pathophysiology)
- NURS 613 (Nurse Anesthesia Program)
- NURS 615 (Nurse Anesthesia Program)
- NURS 642 (Nurse Anesthesia Program)
- NURS 657 (Nurse Anesthesia Program)
- NURS 672 (Nurse Anesthesia Program)
- NURS 675 (Nurse Anesthesia Program)
- NURS 676 (Nurse Anesthesia Program)
Academic & Professional Activities:
- Member – University of Maryland Institutional Review Board
- Member – Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Institutional Review Board
- Journal Reviewer- AANA Journal
- Member Peer Advisory – Maryland State Board of Nursing
- Member Sedation Procedural Committee – Maryland State Board of Nursing
- Grant Reviewer – AANA Foundation
- Grant Reviewer – Tri-Service Nursing Research Program