Jeanne M. Geiger-Brown, PhD, RN, FAAN
Associate Professor, FCH
- PhD, Nursing Science, University of Maryland School of Nursing, Baltimore, MD, 2001
- MS, Adult Psychiatric & Mental Health Nursing, Columbia University, New York, NY, 1991
- BS, Nursing, Thomas Jefferson University , Philadelphia, PA , 1980
- BA, Psychology, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA , 1975
- Principal Investigator, Grant NIOSH- R-21 “Pilot of comprehensive intervention to improve alertness in nurses” 2011.
- Principal Investigator. "Sleep, Sleepiness, Fatigue and Neurocognition." NIH Roadmap K12 Multidisciplinary Clinical Research Scholar Program 2007-2012.
- Principal Investigator, Grant NIOSH- R-21 "Sleep, Sleepiness, Fatigue and Neurocognition" 2007-2009.
- Co-investigator. "Extended Work Schedules and Workplace Injury in Nurses." National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. Dr. Alison Trinkoff, Principal Investigator, 2001-05.
- Co-investigator "Incidence of Needlestick and Sharps Injuries and Medical Safety Device Availability/Use among non-hospital health care workers”. Dr. Jane Lipscomb, PI, 2004-2008.
(Selected Publications Only)
- Geiger-Brown, J., Rogers, V.E., Trinkoff, A., Kane, R., Bausell, R.B., Scharf, S.M. (2012). Sleep, sleepiness, fatigue and performance in 12-hour shift nurses. Chronobiology International, 29(2), 211-219.
- Geiger-Brown, J., Lee, C.J. ,Trinkoff, A. The role of work schedules in occupational health and safety. In Gatchel, R.J. & Schultz, I.Z. Handbook of Occupational Health and Wellness. Springer. (In press, 2012).
- Trinkoff, A.M., Geiger-Brown, J., Sleep-Deprived Nurses: Sleep and schedule challenges in nursing. Chapter in: Koppel, R and Gordon, S. (Eds.) First, Do Less Harm: Confronting Inconvenient Problems of Patient Safety. Cornell University Press, (In press, 2012.)
- Geiger-Brown, J., Trinkoff, A., Rogers, V.E. (2011). The impact of work schedules, home, and work demands on self reported sleep in registered nurses. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 53(3), 303-7.
- Han, K., Trinkoff, A.M., Storr, C.L., & Geiger-Brown, J. (2011). Job stress and work schedules in relation to nurse obesity. Journal of Nursing Administration, 41(11), 488-495.
- Geiger-Brown, J. & Lipscomb, J. (2011) Chapter 8. The healthcare work environment and adverse health and safety consequences for nurses. In Kasper, C (Ed). Annual Review of Nursing Research, Vol 29, 195-237.
- Geiger-Brown, J. & Mc Phaul, K.M. Chapter 22. Sleep promotion in occupational health. In Redeker, N., & Phillips-McEnany, G. (2011). Sleep disorders and sleep promotion in nursing practice. New York: Springer, 355- 369.
- Delp. L. Wallace, S., Geiger-Brown, J., Muntaner, C. (2010). Job Stress and Job Satisfaction: Home Care Workers in a Consumer-directed Model of Care. Health Services Research, 45(4):922-940.
- Rogers, V., Lewin, DS, Winnie, GB, Geiger-Brown, J. (2010). Polysomnographic characteristics of a referred sample of children with sickle cell disease. Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine, 6(4):374–381.
- Kim, Il-Ho, Geiger-Brown, J., Muntaner, C. (2010). Physical demanding work loads and the risks of MSDs in the case of homecare workers in USA. Health & Social Care in the Community, 18(5):445-55.
- Geiger-Brown, J., Trinkoff, A. (2010). Is it time to pull the plug on 12-hour shifts? Part III. Harm reduction strategies if keeping 12-hour shifts. Journal of Nursing Administration, 40(9), 357-359.
- Montgomery, KL, Geiger-Brown, J. (2010). Is it time to pull the plug on 12-hour shifts? Part II. Obstacles and leadership strategiew. Journal of Nursing Administration, 40(4), 147-149.
- Geiger-Brown, J., Trinkoff, A. (2010). Is it time to pull the plug on 12-hour shifts? Part I. The Evidence. Journal of Nursing Administration, 40(3), 100-102.
- Trinkoff, A., Geiger-Brown, J., Caruso, C.C., Lipscomb, J., Johantgen, M., Nelson, A., Sattler, B. (2008) Personal Safety for Nurses. (Invited and peer-reviewed). Chapter 26 in: R. Hughes, R., (Ed.) Advances in Patient Safety & Quality – an Evidence-based Handbook for Nurses. Published by Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ).
- Geiger-Brown, J., Rogers, V., Trinkoff, A., Selby, V. (2008). Work schedules and stress among health professionals. Chapter 10 in: Halbesleben, J., (Ed.) Handbook of Stress and Burnout in Health Care. Nova Science Publishers.
- Trinkoff, A., Lipscomb, J., Brady, B., Geiger Brown, J. (2007) Work schedule, needle use, and needlestick injuries in registered nurses. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology. 28(2), 156-64.
- Trinkoff, A., Le, R., Brady, B., Geiger-Brown, J., Lipscomb, J., Lechtzin, L., Lang, G. (2006) The longitudinal relationship of long work hours and mandatory overtime to MSD in Nurses. American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 49(11), 964-71.
- Trinkoff, A., Geiger Brown, J., Brady, B., Lipscomb, J. (2006). How long and how much are nurses now working? American Journal of Nursing, 106(3), 40-51.
- Geiger-Brown, J. Trinkoff, A., Rempher, K., McPhaul, K. Brady, B. Lipscomb, J, Muntaner, C. (2005) Inclination to report work-related injuries among nurses. AAOHN Journal, 53(5), 213-217.
- Muntaner, C., Geiger-Brown, J. (2005) How social injustice affects mental health. In Sidel, V. and Levy B. Social Injustice and Public Health. Oxford University Press.
- Geiger-Brown, J., Trinkoff, A., Nielsen, K., Lirtmunlikaporn, S., Brady, B. (2004). Nurses’ perception of their work environment, health and well-being. AAOHN Journal, 52(1), 16-22.
- Geiger-Brown, J. Muntaner, C. Lipscomb, J. Trinkoff, A., (2004) Demanding work schedules and mental health in nursing assistants working in nursing homes Work and Stress, 18(4), 1-13.
- Lipscomb JA, Trinkoff A, Brady B, Geiger-Brown J. (2004). Health Care System Changes and Reported Musculoskeletal Disorders Among Registered Nurses. American Journal of Public Health, 94(8), 1431-5.
Primary Teaching Areas:
- NURS 840: Philosophy of Science
Academic & Professional Activities:
- 2011-Present: Member, Maryland Sleep Society
- 2007-Present: Member, American Academy of Sleep Medicine
- 2007-Present: Member, Sleep Research Society
- 1996-Present: Member, American Nurses Association