Janice Hoffman, PhD, RN, ANEF
You are here:
Assistant Dean for the Baccalaureate Program
Associate Professor, OSAH
Phone Number: 410-706-8602
Fax Number: 410-706-7832
- PhD, Nursing, University of Maryland, Baltimore
- MSN (Nursing Education), California State University, Fresno
- BSN, Nursing, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
- Author/Principle Investigator, Registered Nurse to Bachelors of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN) Option at the Laurel College Center, Non-USM Regional Higher Education Incentive Grant, $345,412 (2014)
- Principal Investigator, Increasing the Number of Baccalaureate Prepared Nurses in Maryland through Revision and Enhancement of an RN to BSN Program, Maryland Health Services Cost Review Commission (NSP II) Grant, $298.915 (2013)
- Co-Principal Investigator, Development and Implementation of a Statewide Preceptor Program to Support Nursing, Maryland Health Services Cost Review Commission (NSP II) Grant, $433,000 (2011)
- Co-Investigator for “Who Will Care?” grant for conducting faculty development on evidence based practice concepts, $25,000 (2011)
- Hoffman, J. J. (2015). Chapter 1 - Test Taking Strategies in Flagg and Sloand’s Pediatric Nurse Practitioner Review.6th Ed. Boston:Jones and Bartlett, Publishers.
- Hoffman, J. J. (2015). Chapter 4 - Critical Thinking in Yoost and Crawford’s Fundamentals of Nursing: Active Learning for Collaborative Practice. Philadelphia: Elsevier.
- Hoffman, J. J. (2015). Chapter 23 - Common Renal Disorders. In Capriotti and Frizzell’s Pathophysiology: Introductory Concepts and Clinical Connections. Philadelphia: F.A. Davis.
- Hoffman, J. J. & Hausman, K. (2013). Chapter 37 – Spinal Cord Injury in Morton and Fontaine’s Critical Care Nursing: A Holistic Approach, 10th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Faddoul, B., Kelemen, A., Connerney, I. & Hoffman, J.J. (2012). Patient’s perceptions of a game about Warfarin and Vitamin K: A pilot study. Games for Health Journal.
- Hoffman, J. J. (2010). Chapter 1 - Test Taking Strategies in Flagg and Sloan's Pediatric Nurse Practitioner Review. Boston: Jones and Bartlett Publishers.
- Hoffman, J. J. (2008). Teaching Strategies to Facilitate Nursing Students' Critical Thinking. In M. Oermann's, Annual Review of Nursing Education. New York: Springer Publication Company.
- Hoffman, J. J. (2008). Toward a Better Understanding of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis . Home Healthcare Nurse: The Journal for the Home Care and Hospice Professional. 26(6), 337 – 344.
- Hoffman, J. J. (2007). Contributor (72 case studies) to Smeltzer, Brunner, and Suddarth's Textbook of Medical-Surgical Nursing (11th ed.). Lippincott.
- Newhouse, R., Hoffman, J. Suflita, J. & Hairston, D. (2007). Evaluating an innovative program to improvenew nurse graduate socialization into the acute healthcare setting. Nursing Administrative Quarterly, 31(1), 50 – 60.
Primary Teaching Areas
- NURS 324: Pathopharmacology in the Adult Population
- NURS 327: Medical Surgical Nursing
- NURS 487: Clinical Emphasis Practicum
Academic & Professional Activities
- 2014-2016: Executive Development Series Subcommittee, American Association of Colleges of Nursing
- 2013-2016: Nominations Committee, National League for Nursing
- 2013-Present: Taskforce Member, Maryland Statewide New Graduate Consortium
- 2013-2015: President, Maryland Nurses Association
- 2012-2016: Faculty Council, University of Maryland School of Nursing
- 2012-Present: Ambassador, University of Maryland School of Nursing
- 2009: Secretary, Maryland Nurses Association
- 2009-2010: Faculty Advisor, NSGA
- 2007-2009: Treasurer, Maryland Nurses Association, District 3
- 2002: Item Reviewer, 2003 National Council Licensure Examination
- 2001: Present, Sigma Theta Tau International, Nu Beta Chapter