Jane Lipscomb, PhD, RN, FAAN
You are here:
Phone Number: 410-706-7647
- PhD, Epidemiology, University of California-Berkley, Berkley, CA, 1989
- MS, Occupational Health Nursing, Boston University, Boston, MA, 1981
- BS, Nursing, Boston College, Boston, MA, 1976
Dr. Jane Lipscomb is professor, University of Maryland Schools of Nursing and Medicine and director, Center for Community Based Engagement and Learning, University of Maryland, Baltimore. She has conducted research into the prevention of occupational injuries and illness in the health care and social service workplace for over twenty years. Prior to joining the faculty, Dr. Lipscomb spent three years as a senior scientist in the Office of the Director of the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) and five years at the University of California, at San Francisco (UCSF) School of Nursing, as assistant professor and director of the graduate program in Occupational Health Nursing. Dr. Lipscomb is the recipient of the University Of Maryland’s 2008 Founders Day Research Lecturer Award.
- 2006-2011: Principal Investigator, “Evaluation of Organizational Justice Intervention to Alleviate Type III Violence” CDC/NIOSH, R01 OH009072.
- 2004-2008: Principal Investigator, "Blood Exposure and Primary Prevention in the Home Care Workplace" CDC/NIOSH: R01- OH008237.
- 2002-2007: Principal Investigator, "Evaluation of Workplace Violence Prevention Intervention". CDC/NIOSH: R01-OH007948.
- 2001-2005: Co-Investigator. "Extended Work Schedules and Workplace Injury in Nurses." CDC/NIOSH: R01 OH007554. Dr. Alison Trinkoff, Principal Investigator
- 2002-2004: Principal Investigator, "Workplace Violence Risk in the Home Health Work Place". CDC/NIOSH: R21 OH07754.
- 2001-2004: Co-investigator, "Work Organization and Health Among Home Health Care Workers". CDC/NIOSH. C. Muntaner, Principal Investigator.
- 1999-2002: Principal Investigator, “Effects of OSHA Guidelines on Violence Prevention in Mental Health”. CDC/NIOSH: R01-OH04051.
- El Ghaziri M, Zhu S, Lipscomb J, Smith BA. Work schedule and client characteristics associated with workplace violence experience among nurses and midwives in sub-Saharan Africa. Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care. 2014 Jan-Feb;25(1 Suppl):S79-89. doi: 10.1016/j.jana.2013.07.002. Epub 2013 Oct 28.
- Amuwo S, Lipscomb J, McPhaul K, Sokas RK. Reducing occupational risk for blood and body fluid exposure among home care aides: an intervention effectiveness study. Home Health Care Services Quarterly. 2013;32(4):234-48. doi: 10.1080/01621424.2013.851050.
- McPhaul KM, London M, Lipscomb JA. A framework for translating workplace violence intervention research into evidence-based programs. Online Journal of Issues in Nursing. 2013 Jan 31;18(1):4.
- Lipscomb JA, El Ghaziri M. Workplace violence prevention: improving front-line health-care worker and patient safety. New Solutions: A Journal of Environmental and Occupational Health. 2013 Jan 1;23(2):297-313. doi: 10.2190/NS.23.2.f.
- Flannery K, Resnick B, Galik E, Lipscomb J, McPhaul K. Reliability and validity assessment of the job attitude scale. Geriatric Nursing. 2012 Nov-Dec;33(6):465-72. doi: 10.1016/j.gerinurse.2012.05.002. Epub 2012 Jun 12.
- Flannery K, Resnick B, Galik E, Lipscomb J, McPhaul K, Shaughnessy M. The Worksite Heart Health Improvement Project (WHHIP): feasibility and efficacy. Public Health Nursing. 2012 Sep-Oct;29(5):455-66. doi: 10.1111/j.1525-1446.2012.01023.x.
- Lipscomb, J., Chen, Y., Geiger Brown, J., Flannery, K., London, M., McPhaul, K., (2012). Workplace Violence Prevention in State-Run Residential Addiction Treatment Centers. Work: A Journal of Prevention, Assessment & Rehabilitation.
- Amuwo S, Sokas RK, Nickels L, Zanoni J, Lipscomb J. Implementation and evaluation of interventions for home care aides on blood and body fluid exposure in large-group settings. New Solutions: A Journal of Environmental and Occupational Health. 2011;21(2):235-50. doi: 10.2190/NS.21.2.g.
- Amuwo S, Sokas RK, McPhaul K, Lipscomb J. Occupational risk factors for blood and body fluid exposure among home care aides. Home Health Care Services Quarterly. 2011 Apr;30(2):96-114. doi: 10.1080/01621424.2011.569690.
- McPhaul, K., Lipscomb, J., Johnson, J. (2010). Assessing Risk for Violence on Home Visits. Home Healthcare Nurse, 28(5): 278-289.
- Scharf, B., McPhaul, K., Trinkoff, A., Lipscomb, J. (2009) Evaluation of Home Health Care RN Practice and Their Employer Policies in Blood Safety Programs. AAOHN J: 57(7):275-80.
- Lipscomb, J., Sokas, R., McPhaul, K., Scharf, B., Barker, P., Trinkoff, A., Storr, C. (2009) Occupational blood exposure among unlicensed home care and home care registered nurses: are they protected? American Journal of Industrial Medicine: 52(7): 563-570.
- Baron, S. McPhaul, K, Phillips, S., Gershon, R., Lipscomb, J. (2009). Protecting Home Health Care Workers: A Challenge to Pandemic Influenza Preparedness Planning.American Journal of Public Health: 2009 Oct;99 Suppl 2:S301-7.
- McPhaul, K., London, M., Rosen, J., Murrett, K., Flannery, K., Lipscomb, J., (2008). Environmental Evaluation for Workplace violence in Healthcare and Social Services.Journal of Safety Research, 39, 237-250.
- Lipscomb, J. London, M., McPhaul, K. (2008) Responding to the Epidemic of Workplace Violence in Public Sector Health Care and Social Service Workplaces. Chapter in Lies, M. (Ed) Preventing and Managing Workplace Violence – Legal and Strategic Guidelines. ABA Book Publishing, Chicago, IL.
- Zanoni J, Kauffman K, McPhaul K, Nickels L, Hayden M, Glassman M, Vega L, Sokas R,Lipscomb J. (2007) Personal Care Assistants in the Home Environment: Focus Group Findings. Progress in Community Health Partnerships;2:125-32.
- Lipscomb, J., McPhaul, K., Rosen, J., Geiger Brown, J., Choi, M., Soeken, K., Vignola, V., Wagoner, D., Foley, J., Porter, P. (2006) Violence Prevention in the Mental Health Setting: The New York State Experience. Canadian Journal of Nursing Research. 36 (4).
- Geiger-Brown, J., Muntaner, C., McPhaul, K., Lipscomb, J., Trinkoff, A.M. (2006) Abuse and Violence During Home Care Work as Predictor of Worker Depression. Home Health Care Services Quarterly.
- McPhaul KM, Lipscomb JA. (2005) Participatory action research: a protective research design.New Solutions;15 (1) 53-61.
Primary Teaching Areas
- NURS 761: Populations at Risk
- NURS 880: Work and Health Research Center PhD Seminar
Academic & Professional Activities
- 2013-Present: Director, Center for Community Based Engagement and Learning, University of Maryland, Baltimore
- 2013: Elected as Fellow, Collegium Ramazzini, Carpi, Italy
- 2009-Present: Professor, Secondary Faculty Appointment, University of Maryland School of Medicine
- 2008: Researcher of the Year, Founder’s Day Award, University of Maryland, Baltimore
- 2007-Present: Grant Reviewer, Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research, Vancouver, BC
- 2007-Present: Grant Reviewer, Health Secretariat, Hong Kong
- 2003- Present: Manuscript Reviewer, American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- 1993-Present: Manuscript Reviewer, American Journal of Public Health
- 1991-Present: Contributing Editor, American Journal of Industrial Medicine