Emilia Iwu, MSN, APNC
Assistant Professor, FCH
- MS, Nursing, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ, 2000
- BS, Nursing, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ, 1997
- BA, Rowan University of New Jersey, School of Nursing, Glassboro, NJ, 1986
- RN, Nursing, University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Nigeria, 1981
- U2G PS000651 Blattner PI 9/30/06-9/29/10 CDC
HIV/AIDS Prevention, Care & Treatment in the Federal Republic of Nigeria
This cooperative agreement will implement the Emergency Plan goals specific to Nigeria to treat at least 350,000 HIV-infected individuals; and to care for 1,750,000 HIV-affected individuals, including orphans.
Role: Technical Advisor, Nursing Care and Support
- Fogarty Grant Farley PI
Understanding ARV Adherence among Nigerians; Prevalence of Depression and Alcohol use among ART experienced and ART naïve patients
- U2G PS000651 Public Health Evaluations Blattner PI 9/30/06-9/29/10
Care and Treatment Outcome: Evaluating Physician provided hospital based and Nurse provided community based ART service models in Nigeria
- U2G PS000651 Policy Grant 9/30/06-9/29/10
Developing and Implementation of national HIV/AIDS nursing curriculum and fellowship program in Nigeria
- Assessing Nigerian Nurses’ risk of Exposure to Blood borne Pathogens, their knowledge, use of universal precautions if Exposed
Role: Principal Investigator
- The Impact of Nursing Work Organizational Factors on Neonatal Mortality in Nigeria
- B, Smith, T. Guberski, J. Lipscomb, M. Maimbolwa, Amoroso, B. Bausell, S. Blanshan, J. Burrage, B. Kiama, N. Smith, J.H. Park, J. Allan PhD, M. Broome, J. Farley, E. Iwu, J. Johnson, M. Moen. Protecting health care capacity by preventing occupational transmission of diseases among nurses in Sub-Saharan Africa may be an important step to global peace (Abstract AAN Conference).
- Iwu, E.; Gomwalk, A.; Umaru, E.; Farley, J.; Dakum P. & Blattner, W. Building Nursing Capacity for HIV/AIDS care in Nigeria: Opportunities and Challenges (Abstract ANAC Conference, 2008).
- Iwu, E.; Etiebet, M.; Gomwalk, A.; Gebi, U.; Fagbenro, S.; Akinmurele, T.; Omuh, H.; Jumare, J.; Akinwande, Y.; Mariaga, B.; Umaru, E. & Ajav-Nyior, J. Implementation of Task Shifting at IHVN Supported Sites in Nigeria. (HIV Implementers’ Meeting, 2009).
- Coffman, M.; Nwoga, C.F.; Iwu, E.; Johnson, J. & Smith, B. Sub-Saharan Africa health care workers (HCWs) Knowledge of Universal Precautions (UP), Exposure to Blood Borne Pathogens, and Availability of Protective Apparel/Equipment (American Public Health Association, 13th annual Meeting, 2009).
- Orwenyo, C.; Ekwede, I.; Ihuoma Ezebuihe, I.; Johnson, J.; Iwu, E.; Riel, R. & Moen, M. Healthcare Workers Perspectives of Task Shifting in Nigeria (American Public Health Association Meeting, 2009).
- Ezebuihe, I.; Orwenyo, C.; Ekwede, I.; Umaru, E.; Gomwalk, A.; Johnson, J.; Iwu, E.; Riel, R. & Moen, M. Task Shifting: A Strategic Response to Health Care Human Resource Crises – A Qualitative Study of hospital based HIV clinics in north central Nigeria (Unite for Site Global Innovation Conference, 2010).
Academic & Professional Activities:
- Member, Association of Nurses in AIDS Care
- Member, Sigma Theta Tau
- Member, International AIDS Society
- Member, Speakers Bureau, GlaxoSmithKline – HI/AIDS related issues
- Member, Speakers Bureau, Aids Education and Training Centers (AETC) – NJ/PA
- Member, Speakers Bureau, Gilead Sciences Inc.
- Member, Advisory Board, Abbott Lab. Inc.
- Member, Advisory Board, Gilead Sciences Inc.