Deborah McGuire, PhD, RN, FAAN
- BSN – University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing, Philadelphia
- MS – University of Illinois at Chicago College of Nursing
- PhD – University of Illinois at Chicago College of Nursing
- 2005-2007 Analysis of individual trajectories of oral mucositis (W. Dudley, PI). 1R01CA114263, NIH, funding pending
- 2000-2005 Clinical outcomes modeling for laryngectomy surgery patients and efficacy of hyperbaric oxygen therapy (A. Chalian, PI) R01 within Specialized Center of Research [SCOR] for Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy 1P50AT00428, National Center for Complimentary and Alternative Medicine/National Cancer Institute, NIH
- 2003-2005 Impact of nurse staffing and organizational factors on outcomes of hospitalized oncology patients (J. Sochalski, PI). Oncology Nursing Society/The Pennsylvania Department of Health: Health Research Formula Fund
- Supportive and palliative care in cancer
- Oral complications of cancer treatment
- Pain assessment and management
- Symptom clusters in cancer
- McGuire, D.B. (2003). Barriers and strategies in implementation of oral care standards in cancer patients. Supportive Care in Cancer, 11, 435-441.
- Rubinstein, E.B., Peterson, D.E., Schubert, M., Keefe, D., McGuire, D.B., Epstein, J., Elting, L.S., Fox, P.C., Cooksley, C., & Sonis, S.T. (2004). Clinical practice guidelines for the prevention and treatment of cancer therapy-induced oral and gastrointestinal mucositis. Cancer, 100, S9, 2026-2046.
- McGuire, D.B., Rubenstein E.B., & Peterson, D.E. (2004). Evidence-based practice guidelines for managing mucositis. Seminars in Oncology Nursing, 20, 59-66.
- McGuire, D.B. (2004). Occurrence of cancer pain. Journal of the National Cancer Institute Monographs, 32, 51-56.
- Almadrones, L., McGuire, D.B., Walczak, J.R., Florio, C.M., & Tian, C. (2004). Psychometric evaluation of two scales assessing functional status and peripheral neuropathy associated with chemotherapy for ovarian cancer: A Gynecologic Oncology Group study. Oncology Nursing Forum, 31, 615-623.
- Kim, H. J., McGuire, D.B., Tulman, L., & Barsevick, A.M. (2005). Symptom clusters: Concept analysis and clinical implications for cancer nursing. Cancer Nursing, 28, 270-282.
Primary Teaching Areas:
- Master's program: advanced practice in adult oncology
- Doctoral program: conceptual foundations for research
Academic & Professional Activities:
- Chairperson, Doctoral Subcommittee of the Curriculum Committee
- Vice President, International Society of Oral Oncology
- Research Committee member, International Society of Nurses in Cancer Care
- Member, American Cancer Society Extramural Research Grants Council (National Home Office)
- Member, National Cancer Institute Subcommittee H: Clinical Trials