Charon Burda, DNP, PMHCNS, PMHNP-BC, CARN-AP
Assistant Professor, FCH
Director, Psychiatric/Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Specialty
Phone Number: 410-706-2454
- DNP, University of Maryland School of Nursing, Baltimore, MD, 2016
- MS, PMHNP-BC, Advanced Practice Behavior Health, University of Maryland School of Nursing, Baltimore, MD, 2003
- BSN, Nursing, College of Notre Dame of Maryland, Baltimore, MD, 1992
- AA, Nursing, Catonsville Community College, Catonsville, MD, 1985
- BS, Speech Pathology & Audiology, Towson University, Baltimore, MD, 1977
- Grants Development, RWJ-funded grant with Dr. Robin Newhouse PI, Interdisciplinary Nursing Quality Research Initiative (5% effort submitted 6/10)
- Grants Development, SAMHSA-funded grant with Dr. Mary Haack PI, Interdisciplinary Care for Homeless Individuals with Co-Occurring Disorders (submitted, 5/08, unfunded)
- Grants Development, NIDA-funded grant with Dr. Mary Haack PI, Buprenorphine Treatment by Nurse Practitioners and Physicians (20% effort 3/05 to 6/06, unfunded)
- Burda, C. (2012) Substance Use Disorders. In Smith, Claudia, M. & Maurer, Francis, A. (5th edition) Community/ Public Health Nursing Practice: Concepts for Families and Populations (Chapter 25). Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: W.B. Saunders Company.
- Burda, C., Haack, M, Duarte, A, Alemi, F. (2012) Medication Adherence among Homeless Patients: A Pilot Study of Cell Phone Effectiveness. Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners 24(11) 675-681.
- Fornili, K, & Burda, C. (2010). Overview of current Federal policy for substance use disorders. Journal of Addictions Nursing, 21(4). 247-251. (doi:10.3109/10884602.2010.525788)
- Fornili, K, & Burda, C. (2009). Bupernorphine Prescribing: Why Physicians Aren’t and Nurse Prescribers Can’t: Policy Watch. Journal of Addiction Nursing 20:218-226.
- Burda, C. (2007) Annotated Bibliography: Best practices for Intimate Violence Responses by Healthcare Practitioners, Washington, DC: Pan American World Health Organization.
- Fornili, K, & Burda, C. (2006). Buprenorphine Products for the Pharmacologic Management of Opiod Addiction: Why Shouldn't Advanced Practice Nurses Prescribe? Journal of Addiction Nursing 17:139-145.
- Haack, M, Burda, C, Alemi, F, Harge, A & Nemes, S. (2005). Facilitating Self-Management of Substance Use Disorders with Online Counseling: A Pilot Study. Journal of Addiction Nursing 16, 41-46.
- Haack, M, Burda, C, Alemi, F, Nemes, S. (2005). Facilitating Self-Management of Substance Use Disorders with Online Counseling: The Intervention and Study Design. Journal of Addictions Nursing, 16, 41-46.
Primary Teaching Areas:
- NURS 418: Drug Addiction, Society and the Role of the Nurse, Course Development and Faculty (2010-Present)
- NURS 740 Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner Senior Practicum, Symposium Faculty (2007-Present)
- NURS 755: Families in Crisis: Theory and Interventions (2010-Present)
- NRSG 669: Differential Diagnosis of Mental Disorders Across the Lifespan, Clinical Supervision (2010-2012)
- NRSG 669: Differential Diagnosis of Mental Disorders Across the Lifespan, Course Faculty (2010-2012)
- NURS 655/656: Foundations of Family Therapy, Course Faculty and Clinical Supervision (2009-2010)
- NURS 634: Mental Health of Special Populations: Improving Quality of Care, Course Faculty (2008-2010)
- NURS 523: Clinical Nurse Leader Senior Practicum for Psychiatry (2006-2009)
Academic & Professional Activities:
- 1992–Present: Member, Sigma Theta Tau, Pi Chapter
- 1998–Present: Member, Maryland Nurses Association, District: MD02
- 2005–Present: Member, American Psychiatric Nursing Association
- 2006–Present: Member, National Organization for Clinicians for the Underserved
- 2006-Present: Board Certified Psychiatric/Mental Health Nurse Practitioner, Health Care for the Homeless, Baltimore, Maryland.
- 2007–Present: Member, National Healthcare for the Homeless Clinician Network
- 2007–Present: Member, American Association of Community Psychiatry
- 2008-Present: Member, American Association of Colleges of Nursing
- 2008-Present: Psychiatric & Mental Health Nursing Representative, Program Directors Meetings
- 2008-Present: Consultant, Baltimore Suicide Prevention Group: The Rita Project
- 2009-Present: Member, Neuroscience Education Institute
- 2009-Present: Member, Faculty Practice Task Force
- 2012-Present: The International Nurses Society on Addictions (IntNSA)
- 2012-Present: Certified Addictions Registered Nurse-Advanced Practice (CARN-AP)
- 2008-2011: Representative, Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing Specialty Directors Meetings
- 2009-2011: Co-Director, Faculty Practice Task Force
- 2009-2010: Member, BSN-DNP Task Force
- 2007–2010: Member, University of Maryland School of Nursing Student Affairs Committee
- 2009-2010: Member of the BSN-DNP Task Force
- 2007–2009: Member, University of Maryland School of Nursing Violence in the Workplace Committee
- 2007: Liaison, Violence in the Workplace Focus Groups, Health Care for the Homeless
- 2004-2005: Curriculum Development, Therapeutic Jurisprudence, Baltimore City Court System
- 2004: Member, Geriatric Psychiatry Specialty Development Committee
- 2004: Logistics Coordinator, National Conference on Children and Adolescents: Youth Violence, University of Maryland, Baltimore. April 1-2, 2004.
- 2003-2004: Member, Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner Curriculum Development Committee
- 2003: Logistics Coordinator, National Conference on Children and Adolescents: Gateways to Treatment: Linking Service for Mental Health, University of Maryland, Baltimore. June 11-13, 2003