Carla Storr, ScD, MPH
You are here:
Co-Director, Center for Health Outcomes Research
Phone Number: 410-706-5540
Fax Number: 410-706-0253
- Postdoctoral studies, Drug Dependence Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, 1998-2000
- ScD, Psychiatric/Drug Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, 1998
- MPH, Epidemiology/Biostatistics, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida, 1986
- BS, Medical Technology, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida, 1980
- BA, Chemistry, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida, 1979
- Drug Use and Latent Structure of Adolescent Health, NIDA R01 016323;
PI: Carla Storr (4/2004-3/2008). Secondary data analysis of NHSDA data to investigate youth drug use as it relates to latent structure of mental and behavioral disturbances across age strata in adolescence.
- Early Antecedents of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder, NIMH R01 071395-01;
PI: Naomi Breslau (7/2004-11/2008). Epidemiological and biostatistical approaches to the Johns Hopkins Baltimore Prevention longitudinal data and repeated assessments will be used to probe the observed associations for possible causal significance of traumatic events and PTSD.
- Linking nursing work environments and patient outcomes, National Council of State Boards of Nursing; PI: Alison Trinkoff (9/2008-8/2010). This study uses secondary data from 69 hospitals and 760 nurses working in those hospitals to examine the relation between working conditions and patient outcomes.
- Comorbid Patterns with Alcohol Disorders, NIAAA R01 01634; PI: Rosa M. Crum, Secondary data analysis of NESARC data to assess patterns of alcohol use disorders (AUD) with comorbid anxiety and mood conditions, to examine whether transition to alcohol dependence is altered by the presence of specific psychiatric disorders and symptoms, and if these patterns differ among gender and race-ethnicity subgroups.
- Internalizing Symptoms and Alcohol Involment, NIAAA R01 014869;
PI: Rosa M. Crum, Using prospectively gathered data from early childhood (grade 1) through young adulthood from the Johns Hopkins Baltimore Prevention Generation I sample, the goal of this application is to examine the pathways from initial alcohol use through transitional phases that lead to alcohol dependence.
- Risks for Transitions in Drug Use among Urban Adults, NIDA R0 1009897;
PI: William Eaton, Co-PIs: Nick Ialongo and Carla Storr (10/2007-9/2012). Longitudinal follow-up study of the Johns Hopkins Baltimore Prevention Generation I sample that explores individual and social environment influences on transitions in stages of drug use.
- Predictors of Pathological Gambling among African-American Young Adults, NICHD R01HD060072 PI: Silvia Martins (3/09-2/2013). This project will fill a gap in the understanding of influences on gambling behaviors in young minority adults (age 19-20 years old) by taking advantage of an ongoing prospective study that has been following a cohort of 678 students prospectively since beginning primary school in the Baltimore City public school system.
- Trinkoff A, Johantgen M, Storr C, Han Kihye, Liang Y, Gurses A, Hopkinson S. Nurses in magnet hospitals report few differences in working in conditions, practice environment and patient safety compared to nurses in non-magnet hospitals. Journal of Nursing Administration, 40(7-8):309-15, 2010.
- Storr CL, Cheng H, Alonso J; Angermeyer M, Bruffaerts R, de GirolamoG, de Graaf R, Gureje O, Karam EG, Kostyuchenko S, Lee S, Lepine JP, Medina Mora ME, Myer L NeumarkY, Posada-Villa J, Watanabe M, Wells JE, Kessler RC, Anthony JC. Smoking estimates from around the world: Data from the first 17 participating countries in the World Mental Health Survey Consortium. Tobacco Control, 19(1):65-74, 2010.
- Lipscomb J, Sokas R, McPhaul K, Scharf B, Barker P, Trinkoff A, Storr C. Occupational blood exposure among unlicensed home care workers and home care registered nurses: Are they protected? American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 52(7):563-70, 2009.
- Storr CL, Schaeffer CM, Petras H, Ialongo NS, Breslau N. Early childhood behavior trajectories and the likelihood of experiencing a traumatic event and PTSD by young adulthood. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, 44(5):398-406, 2009.
- Chen CY, Storr CL, Anthony JC. Early-onset drug use and risk for drug dependence problems.Addictive Behavior, 34 (3):319-322, 2009.
- Wilcox HC, Storr CL, Breslau N. Posttraumatic stress disorder and suicide attempts in a community sample of urban American young adults. Archives of General Psychiatry, 66(3):305-11, 2009.
- Storr CL, Cheng H, Posada J, Anthony JC. Adult smokers in Colombia: who isn't giving it up?Addictive Behavior, 33(3):412-21, 2008.
- Storr CL. Characteristics associated with rapid transition to tobacco dependence in youth.Nicotine & Tobacco Research, 10(6):1-6, 2008.
Primary Teaching Areas
- NURS 811- Measurement of Nursing Phenomena
- NURS 814 - Design and Analysis for Non-experimental Nursing Research
Academic & Professional Activities
- Manuscript reviewer for journals, Addictive Behaviors, American Journal of Epidemiology, Drug and Alcohol Dependence, Journal of Traumatic Stress, Nicotine & Tobacco Research
- Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco, 2010 & 2011 Annual Meeting Program Committee member