Brigit VanGraafeiland, DNP, CRNP
Assistant Professor, FCH
- DNP, Nursing, University of Maryland, Baltimore, MD, 2008
- Certificate in Teaching in Nursing and Health Professions, University of Maryland, Baltimore, Maryland, 2005
- MS, Nursing, University of Rochester, Rochester, New York, 1990
- BSN, Nursing, University of Rochester, Rochester, New York, 1987
- 2007 PI for research project as part of doctoral research: Foster Care Documentation Simple one group pretest/posttest study design children in foster care in the Pediatric Ambulatory Center. Final proposal and IRB status pending.
- 2006 Research Coordinator with another PNP faculty on a randomized clinical trial: “A Multi-Centered Randomized Double-Blind Placebo Controlled Parallel Group 80-Week Study to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety Of Chewable Montelukast When Initiated at the Start of the School Year in Pediatric Patients with Asthma.” N=7.
- Research interest in working with court involved pediatric patients and their families. With a particular interest with children in the foster care system
- 2006: Co-PI for research project: Assessing for risk factors that cause maladjustment and behavior problems in children in foster care. Chart review in the Pediatric Ambulatory Center, assessing for documentation of risk factors in children in foster care. Currently, developing an assessment tool to use in both the primary care setting and in the Baltimore Juvenile Justice Center.
- VanGraafeiland, B. (2009). The use of documentation prompts as an intervention strategy for primary care providers managing children in out of home placement. Clinical Scholars Review, 2, (2), 78-86.
- Michael, M., Helm, E., VanGraafeiland, B., Malinoski, F., and Bauman, J. (2009). Influenza Vaccination with a Live attenuated Vaccine. The role of the pediatric nurse in immunization compliance. American Journal of Nursing, 109, (10), 58-63.
- VanGraafeiland, B. (2007). Spotlight on Childhood Immunizations: Focus on Influenza. Consultant for Pediatricians 6, (8).
Primary Teaching Areas:
- NURS 320: Nursing Research
- NURS 713: Common Health Problems of Infants and Children I
- NURS 714: Common Health Problems of School Age and Adolescents II
- NDNP 811: Capstone
Academic & Professional Activities:
- 1990-Present: National Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioner
- 2008-Present: Inducted into and member of Sigma Theta Tau
- 2008-Present: Member of Faculty Council
- 2009-Present: Chair of Entry Level Curriculum Committee