Do I have to apply to both the University of Maryland School of Nursing (UMSON) and the University of Maryland, Baltimore?

PhD applicants are required to complete one application to the University of Maryland, Baltimore Graduate School. Otherwise, you only need to complete one application to the School of Nursing.

I don’t have the recommended 3.0 grade point average. If I apply, will my application still be reviewed?

Yes, all applications are considered. We will review all of your supporting documents before making a decision. 

I’ve retaken a course. How will that factor into my application?

All repeated courses will be factored into your GPA.

Can I apply to both the BSN and CNL programs to increase my chances of being accepted? 

No, we will only consider you for one program per application term. 

My status says that I’m an out-of-state resident, but I have lived in Maryland my entire life.

To be considered for in-state status, you must complete the Application for In-State Status Classification

I see that you require transcripts from all schools that I’ve attended. Do I need to submit a transcript to your office if I only took a few courses at the school and they aren’t related to my degree?  

Yes, you are required to submit a transcript from every institution you attended, despite whether or not college credit was earned.

How do I submit a recommendation?

Our recommendation process is changing; you may now complete this form to generate a request to a recommender you identify. After Feb. 2, 2018, a recommendation form and letter will be required.

Will it matter if I don’t include every school that I have attended on my application?

Yes, this will jeopardize your application. Your application will be considered incomplete and may be canceled if you have not submitted every transcript. We will request the transcript on Student Information Management System (SIMS) if we discover that you have transferred credits from one school to another and did not list each school on your application.  

I am a military applicant and need early consideration for your program. Can you review my application before the deadline? 

Military applicants seeking a decision outside of their program of interest stated review cycle may request an early review of their application by the Admission Committee. The request for early review does not guarantee that the Admissions Committee will be able to grant an early decision. Individuals requesting an early review should:

  1. Review the School of Nursing website to determine deadlines, timelines, and required application materials.
  2. Submit an application and all required application materials.
  3. Email the Office of Admissions to request the early review of your application packet; the Office of Admissions will not consider any requests until all required application materials have been submitted and an applicant’s online status reflects Complete Ready for Review. Applicants may check their application statusat any time. The email request submission must include:
    1. Applicants name
    2. Applicants ID #, @00xxxxxxx
    3. Degree and/or program the applicant has applied to and the term
    4. Date the decision is requested by; please note that we require at least 10 business days to review requests
    5. Copy of orders or a letter of explanation from your commanding officer why an early decision is necessary.

Applicants will be notified within 10 business days if the request for early review can be accommodated. If the request cannot be accommodated, the applicant will be reviewed during the normal review cycle.

I’m a military applicant. Can I be considered for in-state classification?

Military applications can be considered for in-state classification. Please refer to the Office of Registrar's Residency web pages.

I’m a military applicant. Can I use competency-based education and prior learning to fulfill prerequisite and degree requirements?

Military applicants may use Advanced Placement (AP), College Level Examination Program (CLEP), and International Baccalaureate (IB) scores to fulfill prerequisite requirements. Please contact the Office of Admissions to determine the required score for each of the respective subject/content areas.

UMSON does not accept competency-based education and prior learning to fulfill nursing degree requirements.

Where can I check the status of my application? 

Log in to the Student User Friendly System (SURFS) using the same ID and PIN that you chose when you completed your application. 

When should I send the required application documents?

All supporting documents for your application should be sent after you have completed and submitted the online application and paid the application fee. Documents sent prior to submission of the application and payment of the application fee may have to be resubmitted.

I graduated from UMSON and now want to apply to another program at your school. Do I need to send in all of my transcripts again? 

Yes, you are required to submit transcripts every time you apply to a new program.  

I’m applying for the traditional BSN program and am willing to take classes either at the UMSON in Baltimore or at the Universities at Shady Grove. How do I indicate that on my application?

You must select one location on your application. 

I am an international student, but I’ve lived in the U.S. for many years and have taken English courses. Do I still have to take an English proficiency test?

Yes, you are required to take the test if you do not have a U.S. high school diploma or a U.S. college degree.

I took courses outside of the U.S. Can I send you the transcript from that school? 

No, you must have a course-by-course evaluation done by one of the following companies:

I took courses outside of the US as part of a study abroad program. Do I still need to get the courses evaluated?

No, as long as the courses were part of a study abroad program approved/sponsored by an accredited institution and the courses are recorded on your transcript.

Please contact the Office of Admissions if you are uncertain whether or not the courses are/ were part of a study abroad program.


Can I take the prerequisite courses at a community college?

Yes, we accept prerequisite courses from any regionally or nationally accredited institution.

Can I finish the required prerequisites after I start the nursing program?

No, all required prerequisites must be completed prior to your entry into UMSON. 

Can CLEP, AP, or IB scores be used to fulfill prerequisite course requirements?

Due to the variation of acceptable CLEP scores, applicants with CLEP test results should send an email to admissions.nursing@umaryland.edu with an unofficial copy of the score report to find out whether the score will be accepted. UMSON will accept AP scores of 4 and 5 to fulfill prerequisite course requirements.

Can I apply to UMSON before I finish the prerequisites?

BSN and RN-to-BSN applicants:

  • must have completed a minimum of:
    • two science courses (chemistry with lab, anatomy and physiology I and II with lab, or microbiology with lab)
    • one other course (human growth and development, statistics, or nutrition)
  • can have no more than four total courses in progress at the time of application.

RN-to-MS applicants can apply with two courses in progress.

CNL applicants must have completed a minimum of:

    • two science courses (chemistry with lab, anatomy and physiology I and II with lab, or microbiology with lab)
    • one other course (human growth and development, statistics, or nutrition)

Does it matter how long ago I completed the prerequisite? 

The only prerequisites that must be completed within the last 10 years of the application are Chemistry, Microbiology, and Anatomy & Physiology I and II. This requirement does not apply to active licensed nurses.   

Will you accept prerequisites that were completed online? 

Yes, we will accept online courses for prerequisites, including chemistry, microbiology, and anatomy and physiology I and II from any regionally or nationally accredited institution. Any chemistry, microbiology, and anatomy and physiology course taken online must include a lab component; the lab component can be fulfilled online also.


Which version of the TEAS (Test of Essential Academic Skills) is required?

We currently accept versions 4, 5, or 6 of the TEAS. Learn more about the test.

What TEAS score do you recommend?

We recommend that you receive an overall score of 70 percent or higher. 

I took the TEAS over a year ago.  Will you still accept it? 

Yes, we will accept your TEAS score as long as it is version 4.0 or V and it is not more than five years old. 

Where can I take the TEAS? 

You can register for the TEAS through Assessment Technologies Institute (ATI). You have a choice of taking the test at a community college or through PSI. Most community colleges require that you are enrolled at their school to take the TEAS on their campus. If you are not a current student at an available community college, you must register to take the TEAS through PSI. 

I have my associate’s degree in nursing and I am already a registered nurse. Do I still need to take the TEAS test to apply for the RN-to-BSN program or the RN-to-MS program? 

Yes, the TEAS is required for all applicants with an associate’s degree in nursing. 

ATI sent my TEAS score results to me. Can I send my copy of the results to your office?

No, you must request to have ATI send your TEAS results to our office. The results must come directly from ATI. 

I didn’t do very well on the TEAS. Can I retake it?

Yes, you can retake the TEAS. All results must be received by the deadline.

Coursework Only (CWO)

How many courses am I allowed to take through the CWO option?

You are allowed to take a maximum of two courses through the CWO option.

Do I have to take my two allowable courses during the same semester through the CWO option?

No, but you do have to enroll in two consecutive semesters to remain active in the CWO program. If you choose to take a break between semesters, you will be required to reapply to the CWO program.


Can I complete the entire program online?

The only programs that are available completely online are: RN-to-BSN, Nursing Informatics, and the Teaching in Nursing and Health Professions Certificate.   

Where will I be doing my clinical hours?

We have clinical sites throughout the Baltimore-Washington D.C. area. Your clinical hours may be completed at multiple sites.

Is it possible for me to take courses without applying to a specific program? 

Yes, we offer graduate level courses through the Coursework Only (CWO) program

I applied for CWO.  When can I register?

You have to be accepted into the CWO program to be eligible for registration. You must first receive your acceptance letter, pay your deposit, and get your courses approved by your advisor before you register.

I was accepted into the nursing program but can no longer attend. Can I defer my admission?

For Degree Students: In exceptional circumstances, accepted applicants to a UMSON degree program may apply for a deferral of their enrollment. The exceptional circumstances that we consider for deferral petitions are beyond the control of the student, and typically consist of: military obligations, and significant health challenges impacting the student or an immediate family member which will impact their ability to start their program. Please note that we require documentation (e.g. military orders, letter from provider to indicate the nature of the health issue) to evaluate an enrollment deferral.  

We do not consider deferral requests for financial or employment reasons.  Should you be ineligible for a deferral and you cannot start in the term that you are admitted, you should contact the Office of Admissions to discuss your options.  Please note that students who are not approved for a deferral and who are not able to start in the term they are admitted to will have to reapply for a future term, and admission will not be guaranteed.

Click here to fill out the Deferral Request Form. All supporting documentation must be faxed to 410-706-2561.

For Course Work Only Students: Click here to fill out the Deferral Request Form. All supporting documentation must be faxed to 410-706-2561.