Call for Abstract Guidelines
The call for abstracts is now closed.
Information and Guidelines
All abstracts are to be submitted using the online submission process. Be sure to review both the submission and abstract guidelines before you begin. If you have questions during this process, contact Sonia Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (410)706-3767.
- Describe the scope of nursing informatics and identify essential competencies for clinicians and informatics professionals.
- Identify innovations in nursing informatics, technologies, and practice across the spectrum of care.
- Explore the impact of informatics on quality, safety, and outcomes to include data analytics, meaningful use, consumer engagement, and EHR adoption.
- Examine strategies for health information exchange and interoperability across systems and settings for coordination of care.
- Review the required information and abstract guidelines.
- In the case of multiple authors, we recommend that only the primary presenter (person who will present at SINI) submit the abstract and required information.
- The primary presenter must provide the required information for all co-authors at the time of submission, whether or not co-authors plan to attend SINI. Abstracts that name co-authors, but fail to include the required information, will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed.
- Prepare your abstract as a separate Word document and have all information ready before starting the submission process.
- Select the appropriate category for your work: either an experience in the practice of informatics or a formal research project.
- Indicate your preference for a podium or poster presentation. The review committee may request that you change from your preferred presentation format to the other.
- Provide the title of your abstract as you want it to appear in the program.
- Copy and paste the text of your abstract into the box provided in the online form. The form will accept no more than 500 words. Longer abstracts will be truncated at 500 words.
- Incomplete forms, alternatively formatted submissions, emailed submissions, or faxed submissions will not be considered for review.
The primary presenter will receive email notification of the review committee's decision after Feb. 29. The primary presenter is expected to relay this information to all co-authors. Winners of Outstanding Abstract awards will be notified at this time.
Presenter Commitment and Registration
Your commitment to present and a completed registration form for the primary presenter must be received on or before March 31. Failure to register by this deadline will constitute a decline to present.
Presenters are expected to register to attend SINI, at least on the day of their presentation, and to pay their own expenses. Primary presenters selected for and committed to a presentation will receive a discounted registration rate of $345 for the entire conference. Primary presenters of the Outstanding Podium and Poster Abstract awards receive complimentary registration for all of SINI.
Guidelines for Presentations
Podium Presentations (Tracks B & C)
Two podium presentations are scheduled per hour. Each speaker should allocate 20 to 25 minutes for their presentation and allow an additional 5 to 10 minutes for Q & A. The total may not exceed 30 minutes. A moderator will ensure that presenters do not exceed the allotted time.
Poster Presentations (for all tracks)
Poster presenters may set up their posters between 7:30-8 a.m. on Thursday, July 21 using the stands provided. Stands will be numbered, and you will be told which stand has been assigned to you. The poster corkboard dimensions are 48 inches wide and 36 inches high. Posters should be printed on paper or other material that can be attached to the corkboard by push pins, which will be provided.
The poster sessions will take place Thursday, July 21 from 8-8:45 a.m. and 4:15-5 p.m. Presenters should be stationed at their posters throughout these times and plan to remove the posters immediately after the presentation on Thursday.
Awards for Outstanding Podium and Poster Presentations
Four abstracts will be chosen by the review committee to receive complimentary registration for their respective primary presenter. Complimentary registration includes all sessions of SINI ̶ the continental breakfasts, luncheons, poster sessions, and receptions. Winners will be recognized on stage during the conference and their names will appear in the SINI program. In addition, winners will be given the opportunity to have their abstracts published in the journal CIN: Computers Informatics Nursing.
Podium Presentation Abstract Awards
The research abstract judged to offer the greatest contribution to the science of nursing informatics will receive the Sharon Coleman Memorial Award.
The practice abstract judged to represent the most exemplary practice in nursing informatics will receive the Nursing Informatics Practice Award.
Poster Presentation Abstract Awards
One abstract for a research poster and one abstract for a practice poster will receive an Outstanding Poster Award. The primary presenter of each winning poster will receive a complimentary registration for SINI 2016.
Poster session and luncheon attendees will vote for a People’s Choice Award. The winner will be announced at the closing session. The winner of the People’s Choice Award will receive a complimentary registration for SINI 2017.